Cacti and succulents have long liked florist.After all, with a minimum of care and respect for the basic rules it grows very spectacular and unusual plants.One of those is pachypodium (Pachypodium).Description, types and care for us today and explore.
Plants kind pachypodium
It is not numerous (23 species), the group of succulent shrubs and trees.All pachypodium - the inhabitants of the hot edges.The name literally means "foot thick."It is interesting due to the appearance of the plant.Like any succulent, pachypodium accumulate moisture in the stem, which he had very thick and can take many different forms.The leaves are placed at the very top.On the stem has a thorn, because of what the plant is sometimes confused with a cactus.Homeland pachypodium - continental Africa and Madagascar, where they are very common.The most famous member of the genus - Bottle tree (the first photo).There are real giants that grow up to 8 meters in height.Some species are adapted for indoor flower.Care pachypodium at
Types pachypodium for indoor flower
- pachypodium Lamer (Madagascar palm).In the wild, it is a large tree (up to 6 m), which has a thick trunk covered with spines.At the very top of the stem is formed rosette of dark green leathery leaves that are oblong-lanceolate.At room conditions the maximum height of 50-70 cm. There is a kind of - pachypodium Lamer branched.
- pachypodium Zhayi.The natural environment is a tree that grows to a height of 3-6 meters in the indoor environment more modest size (50-60 cm).He looks like a kind of Lamer, but the leaves are narrower and pubescent.
- pachypodium shortness.The name speaks for itself.The stem is large enough and wide bush grows up to 60 cm, but in height - much less.The small leaves are placed at the very top.
- pachypodium Saunders.Its distinguishing feature is the beautiful white flowers with a pink stripe.The stem has a substantially spherical shape with a small number of thorns.
- pachypodium succulent.The plant has a root that resembles a turnip, which gradually turns into a stem tuber.This is perhaps the most spectacular room pachypodium.Care in the home is no different from other species in a favorable environment, it grows up to 90 cm in height.
- pachypodium gustotsvetkovy.This kind of succulent shrub has a very fleshy stems, up to 30 cm in diameter, thickly strewn with thorns.Sheet outlet located in a top part.
- pachypodium horombenze.The plant of small size, has a wide trunk.Blooms large yellow flowers.
- pachypodium the female.It has a large bulge near the root - caudex, which runs cylindrical branches.Very unusual pachypodium.Care pachypodium rosette is the same as for other species.There branched subspecies, which depart from the caudex branches with rosettes of leaves at the end.
- pachypodium Rutenberg.In nature, grows a large tree height of 4-8 meters and a trunk diameter of 60 cm.
All these species can be grown indoors, but most often occur the first two.
choice of location and temperature for pachypodium
This succulent plant native to Africa's hot, so it needs maximum light, and even direct sunlight.Pot pachypodium best place on the southern, south-western and south-eastern windows.In the summer it is recommended to submit it to a balcony or terrace.But you need to accustom to the new conditions gradually.
pachypodium Cultivation and care at home for them require the maintenance of high temperatures.In the summer, it can be quite high (even more than +30 ° C) and in winter should not fall below +16 ° C.Therefore, the plant is going through a good neighborhood batteries indoor heating.
soil and transplanting
main condition suitable ground for this succulent is a good permeability, which will prevent stagnation of water.It can be purchased in a specialty store (select the substrate for cacti), or prepare yourself.Pachypodium prefer moderately acidic soil.You can use peat and sand in equal parts with the addition of a small amount of humus.It is desirable to add a substrate charcoal or brick chips.Do I need drainage, use of expanded clay layer should be at least 1/3 of the pot.
transplanted each year require only young pachypodium.Care in the home in any case slowing the growth of plants, however adult specimens can grow in one pot for 2-3 years.
Watering and humidity
In spring and summer should be moderately watered pachypodium, the soil should be kept slightly damp, but without standing water.In the winter, he begins a rest period.It is not as pronounced, such as cacti, but still reduce watering.
Education new growth begins, usually in the spring.At this time, it is necessary to feed pachypodium.Care in the home involves application of mineral fertilizers, it is best to use the complex, those that are designed for cacti.The frequency of fertilizing - not more often than once a month, as excess can lead to the death of the plant or cracking of the stem.
Spray pachypodium do not want to air dry it is stable.But periodically wipe the dust from the leaves with a damp sponge needed.
Unlike many other succulents, vegetatively propagated pachypodium rarely possible.Use this method more often when you want to save the plant with a hopelessly rotten roots.To do this, cut the stem to the healthy portion, and then a little dried.Slice sprinkled with charcoal.Further options may be two.Or just try to root in the ground, or leave for a while in an upright position in the air, in case of success will plant roots.
second method of propagation - seed, which can be purchased at the store.They are best sown in spring, sprouting is necessary for the temperature of at least +20 ° C.
If you want to make in the house of unusual plant, choose pachypodium.Care in the home does not require much effort, but you will be rewarded with more than a very unusual and spectacular views of the plant.Disappointing one thing - that it is growing slowly.